Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Reckless Abandon

I've wandered lately what it would look like to live with a reckless abandonment for self and begin living for others. I mean to totally live life in a way that leaves no room for selfish ambitions or desires but that is totally consumed with serving Christ and others.

I was looking at a website today, www.evilbible.com, and my heart was broken. I wasn't angered by the content of the website, but by the simple fact that the believers she has come in contact with have all been hypocrites. They have taught love and lived hate, taught obedience and lived the opposite, they talk of abundant joy and live in desolate defeat and depression. I have shown the website to a number of so called believers and I have been thoroughly shocked by their response. Instead of heartfelt grief for this lady they are angered by her dismissal of the bible. When in fact, if they are angered at all it should be at those that claim Christ and live the life of the ultimate hypocrite. Even better they should be angered by their own sinful reaction.

I'm not saying that we as Christians don't slip up and do hypocritical things. None of us are perfect, but we can live a life that is devoted to the pursuit of holiness and a passion for showing the love of Christ.

The dogmatic militant approach of Christianity is no longer an option if we are to impactf today's cultural paradigm shift. I believe that if we are to change the way a culture thinks it will not happen within the walls of the church but on the street where the church shows it's true colors.

As a good friend said recently, some see the change in culture and are afraid of it, some run from it, some fight it, some ignore it, others engage it.

I have found that the only way to engage culture in a relevant way is to abandon self and serve others.

I don't have it all figured out, but I am bound and determined to live my life in such a way others see Jesus in me. Not as some dogmatic religious figure, but as a kind, loving, gentle friend.

No comments: