Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Runner

Today I had the opportunity to sit and watch the viewing of a new documentary about a guy who is a good friend of mine called the runner.

David Horton set out last year to break the world record on the Pacific Crest Trail that runs from Mexico to Canada by taking a trail that is some 2600+ miles long. The previous record had been 83 or so days and David broke that record by running the trail in 66 days. Check out the trailer and order the dvd.

http://www.journeyfilm.com/therunner/

While I sat there in amazement at this incredible accomplishment I began thinking about my own race. The race that I have been called to run, my destined path before I was even born. I thought of all of the obstacles that have come and gone, and I thought about what lies ahead. So often, as David wanted so many times on the trail, I want to quit. Just give up, but something inside says that just over the next hill there is rest. A place to find comfort, water when I'm thirsty, food when I'm hungry, sleep when I'm tired.

Isn't it amazing how selfish we become while we're on this race? We reach a certain place and begin to take the credit, take the glory in what we have accomplished, while never turning around to see the incredible crew that God has placed in our lives to get us this far. How often have we fallen and had a friend there to pick us up? How often have we felt defeated and a friend gave us a hug? What I learned today is that it's not about me, it's about us. I can't run my race alone, I need the crew that God has given me. We all need people. We all need relationships. Too often I forget this and fail to say thank you to the "crew" that got me this far.

So this blog is for you. Thank you, for not giving up on me. Thank you for supporting my crazy dreams and visions. Thank you for loving me when I screw everything up. Thank you for being my family, my best friends, my "crew". I love you all and I can't wait to run the rest of this race called life with you.

As we run this race together let us remember that the goal is just ahead, so press on toward the mark of our high calling. Let us run the race in faith and together accomplish something that is bigger than ourselves.

No comments: